August 10, 2008

The Middle

This guy on the far side of my block has a weekly garage sale entirely directed towards selling one highly overpriced item for his weekly food budget (or so I'm convinced). Today I saw him selling one of those plastic see-through drawer things with wheels, but it didn't have wheels. And he wanted $18.00 for it. Wal-Mart charges $15.00 for the same thing brand new.

On Double-dipping - or - The Art of The Churchathon


Double-dipping: 1) After already dipping a chip, veggie or other food item into any form of dip, salsa or caso, and after taking a bite out of said food item, dipping that same food item a second time into any condiment whatsoever. 2) A little-known practice in which an individual attends multiple church services of different denominations on the same Sunday. 3) Deep frying anything, waiting for the greasy outer shell to dry and then deep frying that bad boy again.

While none of these practices are particularly well-regarded by society and while I do indeed practice all of them, I want to talk today about #2.

For almost my entire last semester at Hillsdale I woke up early on Sunday morning, went to the earliest possible mass at St. Anthony's, slipped out with only minutes to spare before a C.S. Lewis adult Sunday-school class, and then proceeded to a church service at the local United Brethren church. Today I attempted this for the first time in Colorado Springs. After attending the 8am mass at Divine Redeemer, taking a short break to play this game, I took the drive out to New Life Church on the “Jesus side of town" (home of the headquarters of Focus on the Family).

But why would I do this?

Well, that's a very complicated question. Mostly when I was double-dipping last spring it was for the sake of Traverse City sweet-cherry coffee, a heavenly brew served weekly at the C.S. Lewis class. Secondarily though, it's because I wanted to be comparing as critically as possible Catholicism and whatever I can find that closely resembled Grace Church (the church I first attended after becoming a Christian) Protestantism. So, after leaving Hillsdale fairly satisfied that I would be starting confirmation classes when I found a Catholic church in the Springs, I cut out the Protestant side of things for a couple months. So, why am I going back now? Three reasons: coffee, girls, and coffee (originally reason #3 was music, but I've since changed my priorities). To illustrate just how radical of a shift I have to undergo to pull off the double-dip, let me outline the day I've had so far.

Divine Redeemer: Walk in, find a pew, decide if I want to cross myself and genuflect or look more like the wannabe that I am. Look around, find the one person my age amidst the flocks of families who were here being Catholic since before this state was part of America and old Irish grandmothers who have the misfortune of following their grandkids from the east coast out to the desert wasteland of the American West. Sing a couple songs. Homily. Feel weird being the only person who doesn't go up for Communion, and we're done.


New Life: Drive around for 15 minutes trying to find a parking spot. Park in section K row 15. Try to figure out which building on the New Life campus is the one where worship actually happens. Walk through a lobby big enough to hold four Divine Redeemer's into a sanctuary which is probably capable of seating more people and pumping out more decibels than any concert venue in the state. Sit in the one open seat I can find in the 7th section. Realize that not only does this sanctuary house seven projection screens, a flag for every country and a twelve person band (including a guy with two turn-tables), but also a mosh-pit (not even kidding). Sing a couple REALLY LONG songs. Feel weird being the only person who feels weird about taking Communion, and we're done.

So Zach, after the concert did you sip some hot latte and talk about Purpose Driven Life with a flock of eligible young Jesus-freaks? Nope. I walked around a bit, realized that there was no coffee and that I was a quarter-mile from (though in the same building as) the Guest Center and then once again, for the 12th Sunday in a row, no one at church spoke to me (outside of the obligatory “good morning” or “peace be with you”) and I left. It's not that I mind that most people I interact with in daily life are trying to get me to join a cult, vote for Obama or give them my loose change. I would just like to talk to some guys my age who aren't cult-leaders and maybe some girls who shave their armpits. Such is life.


Coming this week:
  • A helpful product and/or website review (I haven't decided yet).
  • A tribute to Joss Whedon and his lovable cohorts.
  • "The Bachelor's Kitchen"
  • More talk with volunteers at the Obama camp and a trip to McCain headquarters.
  • A look into exactly how wild (and by wild I mean relatively behind in freedom crushing legislation) the west really is.
  • And finally...Some funny stuff.
Got a blog or a personal website? We should trade links. Just link me on your page and leave a comment here with your URL so I can do the same for you.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

oh dad...

after reading this, i am reminded why i love you more than words can say.

can we get together sometime before i go back to school on the 20th?? pleeeeeeaseeee?????

Z said...

Glad you're liking it. I'm free every day after 4 or so. Just let me know when you'd like to hang out. Give me a call or shoot me and e-mail.

Kendra said...

Talked to Ashley today. She won't commit to a cross-country road trip. But don't worry; I'll keep bugging her until she folds.

http://warpedperceptions.blogspot.com

Patrick Kilchermann said...

New Life... that's where that Matt Murray kid opened up on an auditorium with an AR and a couple handguns, only to be stopped cold by a woman with a concealed weapons permit.

Watch your back on the Jesus side of town.