August 17, 2008

Good People

I was browsing facebook today and I came across a post on someone's wall and I was like "who's this joker with his rectangular-framed glasses and goatee/beard facial-weasel". Then I realized that I'm not the twelve year old with a bowl cut that I see in my mind's eye. I'm a 22 year old with rectangular-framed glasses and a goatee/beard facial-weasel. Huh...

Just My Shoes

When I got home Friday from school to an empty house I was ecstatic. I cranked some tunes, grabbed a trashbag and the vacuum and attacked Brad's former room with hurricane force. After vacuuming and dancing around in my underwears for a couple hours I realized that I was alone. No Brad. No Leroy. It was Friday night, it was pouring rain, and I had no idea what I was going to do with myself.

I woke up about 2 hours later when Vivian called and luckily at the same time I got a voicemail from Jose saying that he wanted to come down for the day on Saturday.

We ended up going to the Cave of the Winds to do a lantern tour. It was a good day. It would have been a great day if we could have just explored the caves by ourselves, but at least with the guide there we got to hear about what sort of a life someone has who violates Native American superstitious taboos and keeps a mummy in the cave he found. Afterwards we went for pizza at Poor Richard's (a combination bookstore, pizza-place, toy store, and chocolate and wine bar). Emily Dickinson's poetic wiles finally got the best of me and bought her collected poems. That should tide me over for the dateless couple months that lie ahead of me. Good pie, good scenery, good company, and good conversation, not a bad way to complete my goal for the week.

But now Brad and Leroy are gone, Jose left this afternoon after lunch at Chipotle and he'll be headed home after this upcoming work week, and BoyScout will hopefully be visiting the Springs this Wednesday and then heading back to Hillsdale. There go all my summer buddies. Time to get friendly with the locals.

On that note:

Jose and I did the Sunday circuit today, attending, once again, both Divine Redeemer Catholic Church and New Life. Divine Redeemer was pretty good today: a nice mix of music, a homily about being patient which included a rebuke against those people who just walk out after Communion, and a special presentation from a couple who recently moved here from, of all places, Michigan. New Life also had a special guest, also from Michigan. The music was a bit too fast for me today and the sermon a bit too slow, but that's the way it is.

So, here's the rub: New Life small groups (there are about 100 different groups to join, not kidding) start next Sunday and Divine Redeemer's RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) classes start Sept. 6th, and, being the over-achiever that I am, I want to do both. Again, I'll be going to RCIA for the Trinity and to small group for the fellowship, but twice as much church, that can't be wrong, right? Let me know your thoughts on this. I just don't know if you can cheat on Jesus with Jesus. I mean if you were to have your wife...okay, we shouldn't make an analogy of that.

It occurred to me today as I left the sanctuary at Divine Redeemer and looked at their "max. capacity" sign that at some point this church placed an order for 8,419 interlocking chairs.

P.S. Who wants to go see this movie with me?

5 comments:

Karen Renee said...

I can't tell if that movie is totally sacrilegious or what, but seeing as it's Luke Wilson, I'm apt not to care... speaking of sacrilege, i did some double-dipping of my own this morning, and to answer your question concerning fidelity, I don't think you can cheat on Jesus with Jesus, but you can definitely cheat on Jesus with Pastor Joe, and I'm pretty sure any graces I received from going to Mass were pretty well undone by hour 18 of his sermon on 'number discrepancies in the Old Testament'. So proceed with caution.

Maggie said...

Zach- I want to go see the movie with you. How was the coffee this morning, maybe I should ask if you ever found it! Go ahead, cheat away, let me know how it goes. My only hesitation is that you are going to get burned out with all the cheating!

MTH said...

can owen wilson cheat on luke wilson, and if not, i would love to see that movie with you. doesn't luke wilson look like stephen baldwin, kid brother to alec, and if not, i would love to see that movie with karen. either way, didn't the Vatican crack down on naming saints because people like these were claiming to see miracle-shadows pushing through the walls in droves? If not, I will not see this movie.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that double-dipping is the same as religious infidelity. After all, it's not as if Protestants are completely wrong; Catholics are just more right. It's kind of like that one time that I decided to take humanities courses for the friends that I had/found there and still take science classes for truth. Sure, I got a great roommate out of it, but it dropped my GPA down to 3.46 and Zach, you do not want to graduate life with a 3.46 - no one will hire you. Don't let your thirst for local companions take precedence over your thirst for spiritual truth.

cherrie

Z said...

Whoa Mike, I have no idea what you just said.

Thanks for wanting to go to the movie with me, I think...

Don't worry about me getting burnt out on cheating. I practice hard and I play hard.