August 21, 2008

Intergalactic


BoyScout got me an ice cream scoop! Rock on.

Help Me Obi-Wan Kenobi, You're My Only Hope

I'm fairly out of touch. One way that this was recently pointed out to me was when I went up to the ticket booth at the movie theater earlier this week and saw that the new Clone Wars movie was out, and promptly purchased a ticket to a musical.

I neither knew that Clone Wars was out, nor had I kept up on the internet hype enough to even be excited about it. I finally watched a trailer last night, but I do think it's suspicious that I haven't heard anything about the movie at all.

That's definitely one of my standards for culture: if it can't get to me in cultural isolation (no T.V., no radio) then it probably isn't worth finding. So, has anyone actually seen this movie? Is it any good? Give me the skinny and I'll try to find someone nerdy enough to see this one with me.

Progress Report:


We talked last week around this time about what goals we had for the near and far future, and how unless we get some accountability we're never going to achieve them. Well, it's accountability time. So, if you posted last week, let us know how you're doing and if you didn't, just go ahead and post your new goals.

Last week's goals for me were:
Day: Week's worth of lesson plans.
Week: Hang out with someone.
Year: Be able to run 10.5 miles.

How'd I do?
Well, I've probably done that same week's worth of lesson plans about five times since then, but I did have it finished that day. We'll check that off. As I posted on Saturday, I hung out with Jose and did some spelunking.

But, what about my year-long goal? Well, I've made progress. I can now run about 3.5 miles without actually passing out somewhere along the way, but, as exhausted as I've been from working in my classroom for 9 hours a day, I've only been running every other day. I'd like to kick this up a notch, but I'm waiting for my body to get used to it. I'll let you know.

New Goals:

The general idea of this isn't that we have one sweet day or week where we get a lot done, but that we are making continual progress in measurable ways. So, here are my new goals for the day, week, and month.

Day: Nail down my finances well enough so that I can make a list of home improvements I want to make and the order in which I can do them.
Week: Cook. I need to increase my culinary repitoire, so that means cooking this weekend. Possibly cooking bread...
Month: I would like to say I just want to make it through the next month. Kids come back to school on Monday and surviving would be nice, but that's a little weak as far as goals go. What I'd really like for the next month is to be able to keep my content on this blog up to quality, to stay in contact with all you guys, to start planning the high school reunion for the class of 04 (yup, it's that time already) and to find Brad Hall (thanks Big E for the lead on that one).

So, if you posted your goals last week, give us an update and your new goals for the day, the week, and the next 30 days. If you haven't posted before, feel free to jump on in.

Also I'm going to need help with my goals so:
1) If you know a Mexican dish that would be a convenient party-type dish, give me the recipe.
2) If you are a member of the Carson City-Crystal graduating class of 2004, then e-mail me your mailing address and any information you might have about people who are going to be harder to find, like Brad Hall (though I know he didn't graduate with us).

Thanks, and thanks.

And now, your moment of zen:

6 comments:

Maggie said...

Hey Zach- check out my blog for a simple, 4 ingredient bread recipe. The blog is about a week old. I have a great seven-layer dip that is Mexican, I'll email it to you.

Anonymous said...

I know a great Tex-Mex cheese dip recipe that requires no work and is all but impossible to ruin. Unfortunately, you'd need a mini-crock-pot (or access to a microwave, and the fortitude to nuke it every half hour) so if you want to invest $20 on something that that is only useful for pot-lucks and (conceivably) making real oatmeal (or like being a man-slave to cheese-dip), then let me know.

Also, you misspelled the "Daft Punk" tag.

Francis Jose Orozco, OP said...

Try a frito pie thing, here is a link to a Rx http://www.recipezaar.com/10239

The previous day and week goals were completed, and I looked at travel dates for end of the year goal.

A goal for today, finish packing tonight and not tomorrow morning.
A goal for the week, replenish groceries and toiletries.
A goal for the month, finalize travel plans for a trip to the Eastern time zone.

Anonymous said...

while i would not mind watching yet another star wars movie that develops the plot of the the clone wars, i have to say that i am turned off to it by the fact that it looks like watching someone else play a video game with poor graphics. they really should stick with ewan mcgregor (you can't go wrong).

i agree with michael hill - invest in a crockpot. you can stick all the ingredients for chili or corn chowder in there in the morning, leave it on low all day and come home to dinner already made! crockpots are awesome, and very useful. if you get a crockpot, i will get you a cookbook.

cherrie

Anonymous said...

Crockpots are pretty much where it's at as far as cooking goes. There is a blog I read (http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/) that has a billion recipes for all types of food.

One of the "Mexican" dishes we enjoy (I use the term loosely due to my extreme dislike of American Mexican food)is fake enchiladas. You buy about 10 of the frozen burritos (Tinas, El Monte, whatever kind is cheap), cover them with a sauce (1 15oz can of tomato sauce, 2/3c water, 1/3 c chopped green pepper, 1 T chili powder, 1/2 oregano, 1/4 cumin, 1 clove garlic). Then cover with cheddar and bake at 350 until the cheese is melted.

Patrick Kilchermann said...

Zach, I'm sure the rest of the people are with me in that we're all dying to see how your classroom has progressed.

Give us an update, please!

Also, are you nervous in that you'll be teaching products of a culture with which you are not familiar? I imagine that would be the most intimidating part of the prospect for myself...

Good luck brother, Be Armed.

Pat