August 28, 2008

Do You Sleep?

My students all have to wear uniforms and I'm required to wear dress slacks and a tie. The students attempt small modifications like wearing short white socks with their blue Dockers and trying to hide the fact that they've got on a white belt when the dress code calls for black or brown. So far this week I've worn a sport coat or a suit every day, but yesterday I wore my Pi Phi boxers and my FBL t-shirt underneath it all. I felt pretty rebellious.

The Trouble with 'Tillas -or- The Great Blog-out of '08

This is just a slightly cleaned up version of a post I decided not to use a couple days ago, but since I'm no longer able to steal wireless dependably from my home you'll find this post to be distinctly mono-media. I'll try to get to a coffee house tomorrow and perhaps get some official internets in the coming week again. For now this is the best I can do:

I feel 100% wiped out at the end of every day. I've been keeping the Ramen to a minimum lately and trying to eat healthier, despite the fact that I'm still waiting on Friday and the arrival of my first paycheck.

In my search for healthy and cheap food, I figured out that tortillas cost less than bread and since they are used in wraps I figure they are more healthy. However, yesterday I realized far too late that I had eaten tortillas for all three meals: a PB&J tortilla for breakfast, a turkey tortilla for lunch, and burritos for dinner.

When I finally got around to asking the internet whether bread or tortillas were the healthier option, this is the conversation I found on Yahoo Answers (my commentary is in italics):

Question: Are tortillas fattening? Do they have fewer calories than bread? Are they a low calorie snack?

Response #1:
depends on if they r baked or fried
read the facts on the sides of the products and it also depends on the type of bread

This answer was deemed 'the best' by the person who asked the question originally; it is the least assertive and furthest away from an actual answer of any sort.

Response #2: no. actually, tortillas are more healthier than bread. so no, its not fattening. if i were you, i would throw out my bread and get some tortilla wraps.

This person states their opinion as a fact, then cites their opinion as authoritative, then gives some personal advice.

Response #3: no tortillas have a few calories but not as much as bread does, tortillas are actually a good diet food just not too many.

Again, this person says nothing.

Response #4: nahh..more fattening than bread.way more carbs & calories

This person disagrees with everyone above and decides that they don't need to cite any authority to do so.

Response #5: yes i believe they are better than bread, as they are thinner.

This person
believes that they are better, because they appear to be thinner. I would have liked to have responded that they were more fattening because of their more round shape.


Those wonderful people are why I am a teacher, so that no person I ever meet will spend their time answering objective questions on Yahoo answers without actually looking into the subject at hand, or really even understanding how to have an argument in the first place.

Rant over.

My first week of school is officially over and for the first time I'm really celebrating Labor Day. I feel as though God has given me this extra 24 hour period of weekend-goodness to spend it in giving my body a constant supply of beer and nachos. I kicked that off this afternoon at "happy hour" at a local microbrew with some colleagues.



No comments: