August 8, 2008

Apathetic Way to Be

Dear clipboard guy,
If you can't hear yourself talk over the sound of Blue Oyster Cult's "I'm Burning For You" blasting out of my ear buds, then chances are I can't hear you either. And to answer your question: Have I registered to vote? Nope. Will I register to vote? Yes. Will I wait to do it until that cute girl with the clipboard that I saw here last week is back? Absolutely.

Last Sunday at Divine Redeemer there was no homily. Instead a deacon read from a document recently issued by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops entitled "Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship." After church I picked up a copy and the next day I gave it a thorough reading and determined that, to some degree, I would use it as a guide by which to measure McCain and Obama in the upcoming election, and to find out where I stood politically in relation to The Church and to the candidates.

This resolution has turned out to be a lot more difficult to follow through with than I imagined.

After figuring out that Obama had a campaign headquarters less than a mile from my house I decided that I couldn't really have any better shot at learning about his policies than going right to the source. And I did. The first time I stopped by Obama-central I did so at 11 o'clock at night with a carload of passengers who had no idea why I was making this random pit-stop. I decided just to make a quick stop to pick up campaign literature. When I entered the door I was greeted by half a dozen of the most friendly, young, clean-cut Democrats I've met in this town. It really would have been great to sit down and talk to them, but I was just there to get some background reading. Turns out all they had was a biographical pamphlet that read like an obituary and a copy of Obama's "More Perfect Union" speech.

I was disappointed with the lack of reading material, but I went over the speech as carefully as I could and prepared myself for what I thought would be the first interview session in a series, addressing key issues like abortion, gun rights, universal health care and Obama's immigration policy. After reading an article in Newsweek about Barack's upbringing and incredibly diverse faith-background, a review of the speech already mentioned and the speech itself, I was geared up to hear more and to try to raise some challenging questions to some of his most avid supporters.

What I got was a waste of 45 minutes of my time and what Obama got was strike one.

At 8pm the main office of Barack's barracks was manned by two paid employees. One was a woman in her early 40's with the voice of a secretary and the political drive of a butterfly. After welcoming us and asking if we wanted the volunteer all we heard out of her for the rest of our visit was this: "Well now, that was just the nicest man there on the phone. He was a McCain supporter, but he was just so nice. Told me upfront that he was on the other side of the fence and said that I sounded so nice he wished he could change. What a nice man."

The other employee was a younger girl, probably fresh out of college, who, at an average of 4 words per minute, and while welcoming interruptions whenever she could, managed to tell me NOTHING about Obama except that he had a really sweet website. And to her credit, he does. Our conversation went something like this:

Me: Hi there, I'm Zach, I was just wondering if you might be willing to talk with me for a bit about where Obama stands on some key issues (my intent was to talk about some life-based issues like abortion, stem-cell research, the death penalty and euthanasia).
Probama: Umm.... are you from a Newspaper? Uh... or T.V. or something.....
Me: Nope, just want to be informed.
Probama: ....Uh...Cuz you have to tell us if you are from...the uh...media...
Me: Nope.
Probama: (Turns to a person leaving the phone bank room) Uhh...did you...put in all your...uh...data? 'kay... Uh...huh... Haaaaaaaa.... (that's her laugh). (Turns back to me) So...have you checked out the uh...website?

That's pretty much how it went. She told me nothing. She refused to give me any information (she called someone to get ahold of voting records once, but they didn't pick up). In the end all she ended up doing was e-mailing me Obama's "Blueprint for Change," which, despite the fact that it is the most important document of campaign literature Barack has put together, she neither had in hard copy, nor had she even downloaded it before I asked for it. She couldn't even find it on that darn website that she talked up so much. This, might I remind you, is a paid campaign coordinator.

I'll probably head back there this weekend sometime when I'm pretty confident she isn't around, but having my first visit in earnest to Obama headquarters go so poorly put a serious damper on my enthusiasm for this project.

P.S. Tomorrow is movie-review Saturday. If you've got a pick go ahead and leave me the title of the flick and a spoiler-free blurb about it in a comment and you'll probably see it reviewed in the near future.

11 comments:

Francis Jose Orozco, OP said...

Crazy, maybe the prime people arrive at 11pm. Well, hopefully you find some knowledgeable and willing people from both campaigns to discuss the candidates (someone that uses less 'uhs').

When I registered to vote in Texas after mass a few months ago I was given this voter guide. I don't believe it is endorsed by the church though. This is the PDF online.
http://www.caaction.com/pdf/Voters-Guide-Catholic-English-1p.pdf

Movies... there is a brazilian film that I really like called Central Station (portuguese subtitles). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140888/

Anonymous said...

I suggest Akira, which is a Sci-Fi about a motorcycle-gang member in a cyberpunk future who gets in an accident, and winds up with psychic powers. Yes it is animu, no it isn't DBZ, and yes it stands up against real-life movies, and very well. It was the best selling movie in Japan until the Titanic, which is amazing in light of the fact that most Japanese people don't watch animu. It's also the prettiest completely hand drawn movie ever. You should be able to find it in most movie rental places mixed in with the animu.

If you refuse that, I suggest A Clockwork Orange (about a juvenile delinquent who commits murder, and to get out of his sentience submits to a experimental treatment- deep stuff about the problems of putting people in prisons is implied) or Dr. Strangelove (a dark satire about a delusional commander who orders the B-52's under his command to bomb Russia back in the cold war), assuming you haven't watched them.

Z said...

A Clockwork Orange and Dr. Strangelove are already on my list, but I will surely add Central Station and Akira.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Kendra said...

Well, since you're apparently not on AIM, I will leave my comment here. (Which is probably the point of a blog anyway, huh?)

Regarding your last post...
Despite the fact that the primary reason everyone writes a blog is for their own narcissistic enjoyment, you are very good at keeping the secondary goal in mind: amusing your readers. I'm sure I speak on behalf of all humanity when I say that the world is a better place with The Good Word around. Please don't let some snot-nosed kids come between you and your faithful readers.

And now onto the matter at hand: movies. My favorite movie would have to be The Squid and the Whale. The vast majority of people haven't seen it, and the vast majority of those who have don't much care for it. (What a dazzling review, right?) However, I am not discouraged. Someone I know at some point will eventually love it as much as I, and--who knows?--it could be you.

Spoiler-Free Blurb:
Set in the year of our birth, two brothers survive their parents' divorce the only way they know how. It's not easy to have a petty father who only wants to spend time with you because it's "winning", and a mom who's too busy trying to find herself to make sure you're staying out of trouble. But sometimes trouble is just what you need to get you thinking clearly again.

(OMG that was awful. But hopefully enticing enough to make you want to watch it?)

Unknown said...

It's nice to see you going out and finding info rather than relying on the Web. Be patient with the poor little campaign girl. I've been there.

Aunt Lis

Patrick Kilchermann said...

"...and with the proper tool, one can cast ballots at a range of 1,200 yards, and at a rate of 600-ballots per minute..."

Vote for Freedom. Re-elect Nobody.

=^)

Unknown said...

BTW...and time appropriate...Manchurian Candidate (Sinatra version) and True Colors

Z said...

Thanks for the suggestions!! I'm keeping a little database with everyone's pick.

Patrick Kilchermann said...

"V for Vendetta"

Z said...

I like V for Vendetta a lot, but, since I've already seen it, it's not eligible for review. I know it's kind of a read my mind thing to pick a movie that I haven't already watched, but you'll find I've only seen about a dozen movies, which is why I'm doing these reviews. Your suggestion is actually the first one I've gotten for a movie I've already seen.

Patrick Kilchermann said...

Ahhh, seen it have ye...

In that case I'll recommend a mid 80s movie called "Hitler's SS: Portrait of Evil".

It sounds like a documentary, but it certainly is not. It's a great story about two brothers of roughly the same age who enter 'the world' in 1930 Germany. One, an athletic laborer who finds work at a machine shop, and the other (slightly older) who is graduating with a degree in Classics in Berlin.

It gives you a truly inside look at what it was like to watch a nation rise from post-war ruin to super-power, and the excitement of being part of a young, robust government.

And obviously, it's ruin. Great story... the movie is probably on my... top 40 list.