August 13, 2008

Everything You Know Is Wrong

UPDATE: Sorry dudes, I didn't change the code for the playlist earlier. It's fixed now.

Turns out if you like pop music, it's only because you like disco...

Debunk the Funk: A look at how Pop ripped off Disco and Will Smith ripped off everybody.

Madonna vs. Abba



Gym Class Heroes vs. Legitimate Success


Turns out that not only do they need the lead singer of Fall Out Boy to break the top 40, but these guys also have hijacked the hooks from some forgotten pop hits.





Will Smith vs. Everybody

If you take a close look, or just happen to listen to a lot of Soul Train, you soon find out that the beats of the artist formerly known as The Fresh Prince are neither fresh nor kingly...

See if you can identify which of these golden oldies were ripped off and turned into which of Will Smith's biggest radio hits.

To compare these videos with any of the Will Smith versions just use the playlist on the sidebar which has been switched up completely today just for this post.

Sister Sledge - "He's The Greatest Dancer"

If you guessed "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" (how could you not?) you'd be right.

How about this one?
Patrice Rushen - "For-Me-Nots"

Yup, it's "Men in Black."

The Whispers - "The Beat Goes On"

That would be "Miami."

And finally...
Stevie Wonder - "I Wish"

At least he let Stevie Wonder in on the action and got to play the music he wrote and Will Smith sampled for the song "Wild, Wild West."

Of course we all know that "Just The Two Of Us" was a remake of a Grover Washington song and that "Will2k" was just Smith singing over "Rock the Casbah." But what you might not know is that he stole the lyrics to his eponymous tune too. Check it out.

7 comments:

Maggie said...

There are just no words to express my adoration that you put ABBA on your blog. You are now my hero.

Anonymous said...

There are just no words to express my disgust that you put ABBA on your blog. You are now my enemy. I must turn you to the Rock Side of The Force even if it kills you.

Anonymous said...

I was going to comment this morning, but I got interrupted and had to go to the mall. However, at said mall I heard both the ABBA song and the non-Gym Class Heroes version song. I thought that was eerie and that I had better comment to reverse whatever hex you put on me today.

Despite no one but Motion City being original anymore and the curse of uncoolness society has put on old music (so that you can't discover modern day entertainment's pale mimicry or sexifying of golden oldies), there is one thing that Madonna has that ABBA never did: Justin R. Timberlake. This one man, my friends, is what has turned pop music from hip entertainment into the addictive cult whose inescapable gospel of seduction soars from your FM radio. Thank you, Mr. J. T. Watcha got for me?

Karen Renee said...

Have you heard Marie Digby's cover of Linkin Park's "What I've Done?"

Did I mention... nicely done

Z said...

Alright, I need to know who anonymous is, because if you like J.T. and Motion City that much we need to hang out.

Anonymous said...

come on zach. it's me.

cherrie

Leroy said...

weird thing, i just stumbled to this site... that may mean i stumble too much... or that zach's blog is cool.