August 22, 2008

Serendipity

ser·en·dip·i·ty Audio Help [ser-uhn-dip-i-tee] Pronunciation Key –noun


1. an aptitude for making desirable discoveries by accident.
2. good fortune; luck: Ex. the serendipity of getting the first job she applied for.
3. a song by the Barenaked Ladies from the CD "Are Me," which was reworked for the companion CD "Are Men"
4. a failure of movie starring Jon Cusack and either that one girl who married Tom Cruise, or the one from Resident Evil, or was it Underworld...





As much as I hate to double-post I have to tell you all:

How Blogging Nearly Killed Me


1. I was REALLY behind this morning. Probably because I spent an hour and a half trying to format that darn Star Wars post so that it didn't look totally jank.
2. Because I was late getting ready I put on my favorite shirt (I didn't have time to look for anything else) and instead of making myself a wrap for lunch I threw 2 bananas and a cup of yogurt into a bag and headed out.
3. Because I was running late I got to school, threw my lunch bag into my room and headed to the opening presentation from the school's executive director.
4. In throwing the bag down I made the yogurt explode and destroyed one of the bananas.
5. When lunch came around I found out what had happened to my food just in time to have a co-worker come by to let me know that a bunch of people were eating at Chipotle for lunch. Good deal.
6. But, because I was hasty in the morning I didn't transfer my wallet into my jeans and therefore I didn't have money for lunch.
7. I told the co-worker I had to run home first and asked if they were going to the Chipotle downtown. She said she didn't know and that I should call her and find out. She asked if I had her number. I said yes and left.
8. After arriving at home, and (luckily) remembering to grab my wallet, I pulled out my phone to call about Chipotle. Turns out I didn't have her number.
9. I decided to eat lunch at home, listen to yesterday's song of the day a couple more times, and then I headed back to work with plenty of time to spare. I grabbed a Flavor-Ice Popsicle and left.
10. Four blocks away from my house a woman went through a stop sign and crashed directly into my driver's side door, knocking the ice out of the popsicle and make it appear as though there was blood all over my car.


This afternoon I got in a car accident. Don't worry, Gretchen is fine, but she'll need a hell of a face-lift. I'm a little scratched up, but I'm alright too, though if the ol' biddy was driving about 10 mph faster the direct impact into my driver's side door wouldn't have been pretty...

I wasn't at fault for the accident, in any way, and the woman who hit me has insurance so it'll be fine, but nearly getting killed and destroying my car is not my idea of a relaxing lunch break. Also, it was my last day to prep my classroom, so guess who's going to be working all weekend.

The interesting part though is the series of circumstances that led up the accident, and the ten things that I could have done differently to avoid it. Pretty funny if I do say so myself.

Oh well, I guess that's just one more old person who has had their license revoked for hitting me. And if you add that to the two times I've already been hit by a car while on foot in the Springs, I can say with surety that Colorado drivers are worse than Michigan drivers.

Here are the real victims:

At least I know where I can buy the same shirt for $10.

P.S. To add insult to injury (I feel like I use that phrase every other post) my favorite pen exploded in my hand while I was filling out the accident report.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg, are you sure you're okay? from the way gretchen looks, you aren't. wow, that's a hell of a crappy day.

cherrie

Thalasas Nymphe said...

Ohhhhhhhhh your day just made me feel a lot better about my day. I'm sorry. I hope your live becomes more serendipitous.

And props for blog promotion. You finally got me past the several stages of "oh, I should probably comment" to an actual comment.

Patrick Kilchermann said...

Daaaang Zach, glad you're okay.

.... So I guess this means I don't have to pay you to fix the scratch my wife put in your driver's door.. hahahaha.

Wow dude... Is she still drivable? Doesn't look like the frame got bent.

Bradley Frank Osborne said...

Wow. Colorado just won't give up.

Anonymous said...

lessson learned, don't eat bananas and yogurt for lunch, they may cause health risks.

Nick

Kevin said...

I feel like your earlier post about the shirt was just a Chekhov's gun.

Francis Jose Orozco, OP said...

Crazy...
I'm glad that you're alright. I feel like the banana has a larger role in this somehow.

Anonymous said...

You earned Lucas' wrath. Strike Ninja have descended on you position. Whatever you do, do not open the crisper in your refrigerator- it is trapped. Probably the best thing you can do is skip out on your lease and change your name and occupation, and HOPE that this works.

Anonymous said...

Zach! That is terrible! If you need anything (like a ride somewhere), let me know!

Thalasas Nymphe said...

Hm. I really meant to hope your life more serendipitous. Not your "live". Although, I think you could use a lot of serendipity at this point.

Z said...

Wow, Chekov's gun? I definitely had to look that one up.

Yeah, I was doing fine yesterday until I decided to go for a run and afterward eat ramen and change my bandages. Between my heart rate being up, my sodium being WAY up, and reopening some wounds I was out of it for the rest of the night.

I got up at about 2am, took a good handful of tylenol and got a good night's sleep.

Time to drive my wreck of a car to school and then to Wal-Mart...

Patrick Kilchermann said...

Damn, Zach.

Soldier on, my friend. Rise above the misfortune and KICK ASS on Monday!

Know that a lesser man would be seeking time off from work right now. Be thrilled to have the chance to prove to the world that you are not a lesser man.

I don't have to tell you any of this; for you invented 'roughing it'!

Good luck.

Pat