December 19, 2008

Last Christmas

So. Last night I had my first excursion to a new bargain bookstore having decided that I should do something special for my kids and get them each a hand-picked classic novel for Christmas. Add this to the fact that I've had them bring in stockings over the past several days to be filled by their classmates with treats, and you have me being, once again, the sweetest teacher ever.

I put some work into it too. Not only did I flirt excessively with the girl working at the bookstore to get a bulk price, but I matched up each of my homeroom students with a worthwhile literary work (Of Mice and Men, Anne of Green Gables, Our Town, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Hobbit, Little Women, etc).

The end product was thus: sixteen kids with stockings filled with literary goodness and sugary grossness.
And so, the kids opened their stockings, discovered the treasures that they held (the kids brought in homemade candies, cookies, sour straws, hand lotion for the girls, hackey-sack-type balls for the guys, little light-up toys, and so on)...
And guess what?!? They were complete jerks about it. Seriously. I got one thank-you and about a hundred complaints along the lines of "Ms. Brogan's class is doing breakfast, why aren't we doing breakfast," "I'm telling Dr. Prentice that you gave us a party, that way he will HAVE to cancel his lesson plans," "What? I got Wheelock's Latin? (a $30 book), what am I supposed to do with this?"

It sucked. They whined through an awesome holiday party, they whined through getting to watch To Kill a Mockingbird (starring Gregory Peck) and they whined their ways right down the hall and out the door.

Lucky for them I don't have to see their smelly little selves for more than two weeks.

Sheesh.

On the bright side, one little girl sang "Christmas Shoes," one of my two least favorite Christmas songs, but she is so cute that it was worth it. I've got a video clip if you'd like me to post it. Send your requests.

My other least favorite Christmas song is "Mary Did You Know?" mostly because the answer is a simple, resounding "YES". Yes, she did know. An angel told her. Did you even read the Christmas story? Get a life.

24 hours from now I'll be on a too-hot, stuffy plane surrounded by sweating fat people bound for the murder-capital of the world, which, if all remains as it is, will be under ten to twelve inches of snow and dense cloud cover.

The sound quality isn't good, but if anyone should have attempted to remake this song, it was jimmyeatworld.

5 comments:

Hannah said...

aww, i wish you were my teacher.

Unknown said...

MURDER CAPITOL OF THE WORLD??? MAN.
How 'bout town where my favorite Aunt lives?

natalie said...

hahaha...zachary, you make me laugh so much! i can't wait to see you!

and, your party sounds awesome, even if your kids can't appreciate it. :^) what was the motive behind the wheelock's latin? it was indeed very thoughtful of you to go out and buy each student a handpicked book. i'm very impressed.

Z said...

Natalie, do you have a job or something? We're in GR right now.

Patrick Kilchermann said...

Hey dude-

I haven't checked the blog in a while. Kind of went the way of FoxNews...

BUT- let me just say this:

If your student's parents are as big of pains-in-the-ass as you say they are, I almost guarantee you that every one of them reads your blog daily.

I'm not sure if there are any laws forbidding you from sharing info (or pics) on stuff that happens inside your class room, but all I'm saying is watch what you say about them, and watch whose faces you post pictures of.

I'm pretty sure something like thirty ka-zillion teachers have been fired over their "online" lives.

Peace out, and I'll see you tomorrow evening.

Pat