December 23, 2008

Brand New Colony

I love Michigan. Every blessed-by-God's-own-hand square inch of it.

So far I've:

- Gotten into Det. Met. two and a half hours late (thanks to Den. Int.)
- Thankfully run into Leroy (whose cellphone had died) within my first 10 minutes out of the terminal
- Taken the wonderfully treacherous roads up to Hubbardston (arrival: 5am)
- Been greeted by Pat and Brad at the Osborne home, where Leroy and I spent the night
- Served a huge breakfast by Mrs. Osborne
- Trekked up to Carson City, had spiced cider with mom and sister
- Sojourned to the Leroy Lair, for puppies and guppies, plus Leroy's Mammy gave us some liver
- After a brief stop at Leroy's apartment, we arrived at Clare and were treated to chicken noodle soup and Vivian's homemade sugar cookies
- Watched several episodes of a Dirty Jobs marathon before heading to bed
- Woke up, ate a healthy breakfast and just chatted and played with the kids until lunch (Pumpkin/Chicken Red Chili, a new Vivian creation)
- Set out for Grand Rapids in the Leroymobile
- Hung out with Brian, met his new kitty
- Had dinner (Mexican) with Ashley and Kendra, then checked Auntie Lisa, Ben and Alex, Katie, and Kiki off my shopping list
- Headed back to Brad's apt. for Dance Dance Revolution and the "Leroy gets handsy when he drinks game" (much closer to Tag or Blind Man's Bluff than an actual drinking game, easily as exhausting as DDR)

Bear hugs to everyone we've seen so far: Leroy, Brad, Pat, Mrs. Osborne, Stephanie, Brian O., Bob, mom, Katie, Leroy's Mammy, Lil' Leroy, Vivian, Ben, Alex, Kiki, Kathy, Jim, baby Joseph (neice/nephew number 14), Tim, Brian, Kendra, and Ashley. 

Finally, for the benefit of the group, I have some of the most beautiful metaphors ever used in love lyrics. I especially like "I'll be the platform shoes to undo what heredity's done to you."

I'll be the grapes fermented,
Bottled and served with the table set 
In my finest suit like a perfect gentlemen.
I'll be the fire escape that's bolted to the ancient brick
Where you will sit and contemplate your day

I'll be the waterwings that save you if you start drowning
In an open tab when your judgement's on the brink.
I'll be the phonograph that plays your favorite
Albums back as your lying there drifting off to sleep...
I'll be the platform shoes and undo what heredity's done to you...
You won't have to strain to look into my eyes.
I'll be your winter coat buttoned and zippedstraight to the throat
With the collar up so you won't catch a cold.

I want to take you far from the cynics int his town
And kiss you on the mouth
We'll cut out bodies free 
From the tethers of this scene,
Start a brand new colony
Where everything will change,
We'll give ourselves new names (identities erased)
The sun will heat the ground
Under our bare feet in this brand new colony.

 
That's "Brad New Colony" by The Postal Service, one of my favorite CDs of all time.

Here's the song set to a slideshow, enjoy:



P.S. I know Michael, Pat, Natalie, and Heidi have found their way back to the blog, but is there anyone else out there? Comment and let me know how your Christmas season is going.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to see that freak accident at the Denver airport didn't slow you down too much

Anonymous said...

I'm still here too. I'm excited that you made in here safe and that we get to see you soon for Guild New Year.
I've got the next 2 days off work so I'm going to do a whole lot of nothing. Brian promised not to work so it will be a mini vacation!

Kevin said...

Hi.
I visit occasionally. I can't find anything worthy to say though. All I got is words. Small talk. Chit chat.

You kids and your dieing cell phones....

Bah humbug! I'm not saying what the words mean, but I'm saying what the saying has come to mean.